UpcomingTalks.com brings together a diverse community of thousands of people to discover a variety of live audio discussions around the globe. The integrity of our platform is something we take very seriously and we are committed to operating it in a safe, secure, legal, and respectful way. That is why we developed these Community Guidelines to describe the types of events, activities, and content that we encourage-and prohibit-on UpcomingTalks.com. — Last updated: February 1, 2021
UpcomingTalks.com is a place where anyone can share or find live audio discussions that fuel their passions. As both an organization that cares about diversity of thought and a global platform that fosters a vibrant community, we are committed to providing a safe, well-lit environment for live experiences. We may not agree with every view or opinion expressed at every event, but we strongly believe in the fundamental right to free speech and assembly. To help you understand what is acceptable on UpcomingTalks.com and what crosses our line, we created this set of Community Guidelines:
Create Events of All Kinds
Whether you’re interested in technology, marketing, meditation, fitness, or nearly anything else-you’re free to create and share events that bring your community together.
Share Respectful, Celebratory Content
We highly encourage the use of content that celebrates different cultures, countries, and voices. Express yourself and inspire our community with your unique perspective and insight.
Post-Self-Generated or Properly Obtained Content
You are welcome to use content in your event listing that you’ve created yourself, or procured appropriately, provided that it is not hateful or explicit in nature, or otherwise in violation of these Guidelines. This includes photos, videos, logos, and copy.
You may not use UpcomingTalks.com to post content or engage in any conduct that is (in our sole evaluation) offensive, harmful, or inappropriate for general audiences, or that we believe constitutes or is likely to encourage or promote any harmful, violent, or illegal activity or outcome. Below, you will find more information about the types of activities, events, and content that are not permitted on or through the UpcomingTalks.com Services.
Don’t Promote Illegal or Inappropriate Activities
UpcomingTalks.com may not be used to facilitate the harmful or criminal activity of any kind. You may not create or promote events on the UpcomingTalks.com Services that constitute or promote any of the following, as determined by UpcomingTalks.com:
- Explicit sexual activity (including escort services), or pornography,
- Illegal gambling activity (whether illegal under any U.S. federal or state law, or non-U.S. law),
- Sale or ingestion of illegal drugs, other illegal substances, or nutraceuticals,
- Cannabis or cannabis-infused products (including CBD) provided for free, for sale by the Organizer, or as part of the ticket purchase (including free samples, infused food/beverage, gift bags, product discounts, and giveaways), attendee sharing of cannabis, teaching how to grow or extract cannabis (including infused cooking classes), or dispensary tours (this is due to regulations at the federal level, and this policy applies even in locations where cannabis is legal),
- Activities that principally promote any other commercial product or service, such as an “infomercial,” unless such promotion is expressly indicated to users in a legally sufficient way, such as through a prominent “Advertisement” disclosure,
- Unauthorized multi-level marketing businesses,
- Credit repair services,
- Raffles, sweepstakes, or giveaways that are not part of a live event listed on UpcomingTalks.com or that are otherwise prohibited by law,
- Listings promoting the sale or distribution of any goods or services not directly related to a live event listed on UpcomingTalks.com,
- Activities that demean, harass, intimidate, threaten or express hatred toward any societal group, whether based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status,
- Sale, distribution (including raffles, auctions, giveaways), unlawful use, or trade shows of (i) firearms, firearm parts or hardware, and ammunition; or (ii) weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury,
- Terrorist activity or organized criminal activity.
Don’t Post Hateful/Dangerous Content, or Events By Hateful/Dangerous Organizations
UpcomingTalks.com does not permit on our platform content or organizations that promote or encourage hate, violence, or harassment towards others and/or oneself. Specifically, we prohibit content or organizations that promote hate towards or the harassment of individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, nationality, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. This prohibition extends to the public promotion of this type of prohibited behavior whether or not specific to the event or content appearing as part of the Services.
Don’t Post Harmful or Illegal Content
We expect you to respect the individuals, organizations, and groups that are a part of the UpcomingTalks.com community. You may not distribute any written or other content through the UpcomingTalks.com Services that:
- Impersonates any person or entity, including without limitation any government officials or public figure; falsely states or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with any person or entity; or expresses or implies that UpcomingTalks.com endorses any statement you make without express written approval to do so,
- Promotes or encourages hate or dangerous content (as we’ve also described above),
- Defames or libels any other person,
- Invades any person’s privacy, or contains a person’s likeness without their permission,
- Harasses, threatens, or seeks to intimidate any person (also described above),
- Promotes potentially harmful misinformation or intentionally deceptive disinformation,
- Is fraudulent, deceptive or tortious, or
- Is protected by copyright, trademark, or trade secret law, unless you have the express prior written consent of the owner of such right.
Don’t collect children’s data without parental consent
If you are organizing an event where children under the age of 16 may attend, our policy is that the parent or legal guardian must register the minor and/or purchase the ticket on their behalf. You may not use our tools or Services to collect data directly from children under the age of 16.
Don’t Invade the Privacy of Others
Be thoughtful and careful about the kind of information you ask for. You may not use UpcomingTalks.com to collect credit card numbers, social security numbers, financial information, or other sensitive information not absolutely necessary for the administration of your event, and not available for collection through alternative methods.
Don’t Post Explicit Content
UpcomingTalks.com is not a place for pornography, or for explicit, violent and/or graphic content. This applies to all content on our site, including images, videos, and descriptions. We understand that not all nudity is pornographic, and that certain graphic content may be necessary to emphasize the nature of an event on our Services. We will remove content that exposes certain parts of the body, or is intended to celebrate violence or primarily to shock the viewer. Beyond this, we may choose to remove or make certain content private to ensure a general level of safety and appropriateness for the majority of the community.
How to Flag and Process for Review
Our goal is to promote a safe and respectful community. If you learn of any listing or content that may violate these Community Guidelines or our Terms of Service, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) right away. We will review each report, and depending on the nature of the report, we may or may not follow up with you. It’s also important to remember that UpcomingTalks.com encourages a diverse, global community; content that you find offensive or controversial may not violate our Community Guidelines, and not result in your desired action. We truly value your feedback and the opportunity to hear from our community.
Violations of our Community Guidelines
If we determine that the content violates our Community Guidelines, we may remove only the relevant content, we may take down the entire event listing, or take alternative action that UpcomingTalks.com determines to be appropriate given the circumstances surrounding the content. If the abuse of our Services is serious and severe (in our sole evaluation), we may also suspend or terminate the associated UpcomingTalks.com account. Note that certain content, while not in violation of our Community Guidelines, may not be appropriate for the majority of our community. In these cases, we may decide to make the content private or otherwise reduce its distribution.
If we believe there is a legitimate risk of physical harm to someone or a group of people, or direct threats to public safety, we not only take action on our site but will also work with law enforcement, as appropriate and at our discretion. This includes issuing reports of child sexual abuse material to authorities such as the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger as a result of content posted on UpcomingTalks.com, please first contact your local law enforcement agency.